Unfortunately, life is not always plain sailing and difficult life events can arise that lead to stress within the family. This might be;
- Parental ill-health (physical or psychological)
- Financial uncertainty
- Work related stress impacting upon the family
- Childhood illness
Trauma can have a major influence on the family unit and places pressure upon family members to draw together in support and develop resilience.
When families are going through very tough times it can feel like you have many plates spinning in the air and not enough time to devote any attention to them. Perhaps one of the most effective things a parent can do in this time is; ask for support.
Many people are reluctant to ask for support because they think it might make them seem weak or not good enough, but the reality is the opposite, and quite frankly if you burn out how can you help anyone?
Asking for support might be:
- Asking your husband/wife for help in particular areas to ease your burden
- Enlisting older children to help with roles and responsibilities around the home
- Calling upon friends and family to offer up support eg, by cooking up a big meal or taking the kids out for a few hours, whatever will be helpful.
Sometimes the best choice you can make is to ask for support. If things are really tough and you think professional support in a confidential space might be most helpful for you please do not hesitate to get in contact with us at email@example.com