It is important, through the process of coming to terms with your child’s diagnosis, that you also come to understand your own responses. There is no right or wrong way to feel or respond, but it will be important it take time to understand what you are feeling, to talk about it with loved ones, or professionals and also to take the time to look after yourself, particularly because if you don’t look after yourself, then you can’t be a help to anyone!
Creating a healthy family lifestyle is really important!! Whilst it might seem impossible amongst the busy-ness of everyday life here are 10 quick tips for a healthy lifestyle.
10 quick tips for a healthy eating lifestyle
- Use fat free milk over whole milk. (As long as your child is at least 2 years old)
- Drink water before a meal.
- Eat leaner red meat & poultry.
- Don't eat late at night.
- Don't skip meals.
- Moderate caffeine and alcohol consumption. The safe limit of alcohol consumption in a week for women is 14 standard drinks, and for men 21 standard drinks.
- Snack on fruits and vegetables
- Try brown rice or whole wheat pasta
- Flavor foods with herbs, spices, and other low fat seasonings
- Stop eating when you are full